What's happening in Room 32
We are using an online reading program. Students are able to 'listen' to the story, should they prefer to listen, as opposed to reading. Each Chapter is followed by an activity, designed to enhance their students comprehension of the story. Currently they have completed two chapters. Ask your child about this form of reading and responding.
We have begun to utilize this online grammar site. Today students learned about adding adverbs to their sentences, combining sentences and took a diagnostic on grammar usage. You can find a link to all new online programs there. Ask your student about this new tool in our classroom.
Students are able to watch a video, learn about various topics and create their own rhyming videos to help understand the content.
Students have been tasked with writing a descriptive essay. They were provided the opportunity to choose their own topic of interest to them. We have been working on Descriptive Informational Writing since last week. Please ask them how it's going and have them tell you about their topic.
We have almost completed our fraction unit and are learning about Integers. Students will be devising a menu and figuring out the required ingredients as a comprehensive real-world project. Integers will begin tomorrow and we will also be doing a performance task on this unit as well. Students can always log on to Pearson at home.
Conflict & Compromise:
We are embarking on a project for the History Day in February, one that will be held during our Science Fair. Wednesday February 21st, after school, we will display 5th and 6th grade Science Fair and History Day Projects. Students are picking a topic this week and will be assembling over the weekend, next week and the following weekend. They will be required to do work at home for this culminating project. They can research their topic here :https://newsela.com/search/#/?needle=Conflict%20%26%20compromise.
Makey/Makey & Scratch
Makey Makey and Scratch are two tools that enable students to create interactive displays, projects and to just create. They will be shown how to enhance their Conflict & Compromise project through Makey Makey and Scratch. They will also create other types of projects, including use of the 3D printer. I'm hopeful they can make their projects 'come to life,' through the use of technology, coding, circuitry of the Makey Makey and engineer their ideas.
Makey Makey STEM Pack in room 32.
Central Unified Foundation supplied our class with funding for our Makey Makey, which has begun to take off. Please check out the videos students made on completing a circuit by grounding themselves to Earth. They've created a circuit to extend the reaches of their computer's keyboard by turning semi-conductive items into keys of their computer.
- Stay-tuned for more projects, lessons on this fantastic STEM product!
- Helps students learn to persevere to problem-solve!
Virtual Story Telling through 3D Virtual Reality for Chevron Maker
- Reading 60 minutes
- Working on Science fair Project (GATE)
- Project 1/8/18
- Regular check ins with Ms. Brenner
- Birdhouse “What material I used, how my birdhouse helps the environment? 1 paragraph
- The Giver: “Hyperdoc” - Accessed on our classroom website: https://goo.gl/wJbmUj
- READ: Chapter 14, 16, 18, 20 (entire week)
- Math wkbk! 5-2, 5-3 (Know division of 2 digits into four digits, with remainders!
- READING (New Reading Group Book)
- (Birdhouse,recycled bottles DUE 11/10,
- Project/Business DUE 11/13,
- FINAL Project DUE 11/17/17 - Complete prototype, business!
- READ 60 min
- Write 2nd Paragraph for Self-Driving Car Argument
- Cont. Reading Group Packet (from last week)
- 3-1 Math wkbk.
- Read 30 min
- Author's Purpose on one article
- Math: 2-8, 2-9, TEST Friday.
- Climate Change/Global warming research
- Reading Group Packet (DUE 11/3/17)__________________
- Students should be working on Cornell Notes - Due 10/13
- AR Points (20 by 10/10/17)
- Reading Groups Book
- Test on 2-1 thru 2-5 6th grade: PreAlgebra (retake test Ch 2)
- HyperDoc: Greek Myths, should be done!
- Early Man Virtual Reality Museum! (Due 10/16/17)
- Students can use Khan Academy Learnstorm to improve math skills.
- ST (Jiji) Math too!